All teeth need fluoride to minimize harmful acid attacks that occur when bacteria mix with sugar in the mouth and eat away at tooth enamel, causing tooth decay.
Most people get adequate amounts of fluoride through their drinking water and the foods they eat, but that’s not always the case. If you drink mostly bottled water or you use a home water filtration system, you may not be getting the amount of fluoride you need.
At one time, it was believed that only children needed fluoride treatments, but today, more adults are getting them as well, particularly if they run a higher risk of tooth decay due to:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Alcohol/drug abuse or an eating disorder
- Inadequate professional dental care
- Poor diet/nutrition
- Dry mouth (saliva helps to wash bacteria off teeth)
- Overgrowth of oral bacteria.
Fluoride is available in several forms, including:
- over-the-counter and prescription toothpastes and mouth washes/rinses.
- professional gel, foam and varnish treatments, available in a participating dentist’s office.
- supplements that are prescribed by a participating dentist.
If you have questions or concerns about the fluoride content in your local drinking water or you’re wondering if you or your child can benefit from fluoride treatments, call Hawksburn Village Dental and we will be happy to address your concerns and answer any questions that you might have.